On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:24 AM Olaf Hering <o...@aepfle.de> wrote:

> Am 19.10.2015 um 05:27 schrieb Bastián Díaz:
> > Hello, from 3.16 I like the design approach used to address the problem
> > of legacy tray icons.
>
> Do you actively use and _work_with_ applications which are now banned
> and discriminated due to that new "design"? And is that nervous little
> thing in the lower left corner really desgined or just quickly hacked up?

You know, we can't actually banned or discriminate against other apps?  I'm
not sure what you mean in this context?   Logically, if we banned or
discriminated against these apps; we wouldn't be using them. :)

I can't comment on the traybar in the corner.  I believe that was a stop
gap measure for now.  But one of the designers can comment on that.

Do it right. Make every app which happens to use the APIs a first-class
> citizen. Be a service and act in favour of such apps. Stop being a
> dictator and punish third party apps, and in the end the users of such
> apps.

That is what the HIG is far if you are a GNOME based app.  Or are you
referring to non-GNOME apps?  There are of course limits to which GNOME
will support them, but when it makes sense I believe GNOME tries to do that.

> One of the listed bugs mentions topicons. Does that really work out of
> the box? It does not for me. Merge the idea of what it does into the
> "GUI core" for the time being and publish it along with the core.

Works for me, I've never had a problem with topicons.  Although I have
stopped using and using the notifications.  But I believe there can be a
better story there, my personal opinion.

sri