On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 11:21 AM Florian Müllner <fmuell...@gnome.org>
wrote:

> Tarball releases are provided largely for distributions to build
> packages. If you are interested in building GNOME Shell from source,
> we would recommend building from version control using the build
> script described at:
>
>  https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell
>
> Not only will that give you the very latest version of this rapidly
> changing project, it will be much easier than get GNOME Shell and its
> dependencies to build from tarballs.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the current preferred way
of building and testing GNOME Shell? There's no section on that wiki page
about building that I can find.

There is a link to https://wiki.gnome.org/Newcomers/BuildGnome but I can
only find examples of application builds, not the shell, and I'm uncertain
whether the shell has specific other requirements. The development guide
page at https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/Development refers to
jhbuild, but jhbuild instructions say it's obsolete and replaced by
BuildStream.

I was able to build gnome-shell with BuildStream, but have had some
troubles figuring out how to run it, and am a bit unsure if that's actually
supported as various old posts describe them as not yet working together.

If I do 'bst shell core/gnome-shell.bst' and try to 'gnome-shell --x11 -r'
in the workspace, clutter errors out unable to find a GL driver. I'm unsure
whether this is because I'm using the Nvidia proprietary drivers and
they're not available inside the workspace, or whether it wouldn't work
even if I figure out how to fix this. (In a pinch I can probably switch
back to Nouveau temporarily, if that would work.)

Note the patch I'm working on changes both JS and C portions, so I can't
just swap out the live JS.

Thanks!

-- brion