On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:52:08 +0200 Denis wrote:
> > Is this kind of issue really limited to emulators?
> Yes there is. Some compatibility layers have the same issue.
>
> It also applies to operating systems like Android etc, so we can treat
> the issue in a more generic way if we want.
>
> > Perhaps you can generalize it to be about programs with a certain
> > structure of use cases, rather than "emulators".
> Yes.

this part just went full-circle back to a few weeks ago
"emulators and other hosts of foreign applications"
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2023-06/msg00088.html

as i noted earlier, it depends how "generically" they are viewed - in the
strictest sense, it would apply to every runtime and language interpreter, such
as java, dotnet, python, gnu-smalltalk, etc - anything which can be
characterized as a VM

even those which would be the safest to recommend, such as QEMU, can run
non-free software as well as anything