On Fri, 07 Jul 2023 05:06:14 -0400
Richard Stallman <r...@gnu.org> wrote:
>   > > Is there an actively maintained _libre_ replacement for
>   > > ScummVM?
>
>   > I don't see the point of having a libre replacement for ScummVM
>   > unless there is free software that can run in it.
>
> I agree.  I would not suggest pwople write one.  But I still ask the
> question:
>
>   > > Is there an actively maintained _libre_ replacement for
>   > > ScummVM?
>
> because IF one ALREADY exists, that MIGHT make a difference.  Do you
> know the answer?
If the question is if there is a drop-in replacement that can run
similar kind of games, not as far as I know.

RenPy is somewhat close because ScummVM and RenPy are 2D cross platform
games.

ScummVM and RenPy both have dialogs, but ScummVM can also do
point-and-click games where you can interact with your environment,
pickup objects, and do actions with them. I'm not sure if that's
possible to do with RenPy.

So if all you want to do is Dialogs, and that you only want the
game to run on GNU/Linux, using RenPy would be way better/easier.
Though it might require more maintenance in the long run as RenPy
probably keeps evolving.

>   > The downside is that it runs on less operating systems than
>   > ScummVM[1].
>
> Are people still portinmg Rempy?
Releases for multiple OS probably bundle RenPy with the games, but I
don't know how it works. I've only tried to run it on GNU/Linux in a
packaged form.

I've also tried modifying an exiting free games and it's trivial to do
even for non-programmers.

Denis.