On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 03:03:20 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 02:29:07 -0400 bill-auger wrote:
> > * third party package managers
>
> i will take this one issue to illustrate
>
> RMS has asked us to start a sprint on this issue - that is awesome!!!
> - but most likely, only myself and gnutoo will volunteer to do it
We probably need to find a better way to organize to enable more
people with less time to dedicate to that to join the conversation.

For instance we could:
- Start preparing the discussions. For instance define bounded topic to
  discuss about. This could be done in wiki pages on Libreplanet.
- Announce the discussions
- After discussions, write one or more reports of it (for instance in
  the Libreplanet wiki).
- Summarize the result of the discussions, more specifically the
  various arguments.
- Wait for more input from people that didn't have a chance to
  participate, and/or do a next round of discussions but only for
  arguments that weren't summarized yet, and/or accept "patches" to the
  discussion results summary.

Apart from the announce where we might need help from the FSF, we can
do all the rest ourselves.

> that is worth noting, because my favored option for _all_ of them, is
> to exclude them from parabola, and accept packaging requests for
> desirable packages from those repos - why? - because that is the very
> reason why distros exist, isnt it?
There are many valid use cases for third party package managers.

I also don't see how they could be forbidden by the FSDG if they follow
the FSDG. But if distributions have additional rules on top of the FSDG
(Parabola does), they tend not to follow these rules.

But it's probably best here to have this discussed in Parabola later on
and then maybe publish the results of that discussion here in case
other distributions want to follow the same path.

Though I don't know if any other FSDG compliant distributions are
considering discussing something like that which here means also
excluding third party package managers that are FSDG compliant.

> so i would be doing that work only for the benefit of other distros,
> despite that i believe it is not the best course of action - if i,
> like other distros, were acting only on the behalf of my distro, i
> too would have no incentive to do this work on behalf of other
> distros (ie: the ones who want this junk should be the ones to clean
> it up)
Unfortunately users that have a use case that is fulfilled only with
bad quality free software will tend to use it anyway. So the only thing
we can do here is probably to try to organize to find ways around some
bad quality software development practices, to find other ways to
fulfill similar use cases with different software or approaches, etc.

A way here would probably be to explain what issues some software or
technologies have, and try to see if there are other ways to fulfill
the use cases (for instance by writing documentation on the Libreplanet
wiki, or designing a website for that, etc).

But here ironically, banning all third party FSDG compliant
repositories in a specific distribution will tend to make getting high
quality packages harder in general because different distributions have
different set of packages, and so it might be interesting to be able to
reuse the packages of another distribution.

> still, i would do it, if i thought for a moment that any of those
> other distros would appreciate the effort, or have any incentive to
> even consider the results
> - but i have every reason to be pessimistic about that, as things
> stand - i can not in good conscience, do that work on the behalf of
> people who will most likely reject it, some of whom have promised in
> advance to ignore it - like anyone else, my time is valuable - i
> would rather spend that time doing something constructive
We indeed do not have infinite time, and so here it also brings concern
over how to spend resources.

In some cases the only way to get specific packages (Freedombox) in
FSDG compliant ways is through a single distribution (PureOS).

Building Replicant in Parabola is also impossible because it would
require way too much work and constant maintenance, and even if many
people did that work, it would still be impossible to build older
Replicant versions (which is sometimes needed for testing). Yet some of
our potential contributors use Parabola, and we loose important
potential contributors because of the complicated setup.

So here the only way I saw that works is to enable users to install
packages from other FSDG compliant distributions.

How that should work out (who should provide packages for that, how to
make sure it's secure, etc) should probably be discussed on the Parabola
mailing list instead.

Denis.