  > Often it is also because it requires a lot of work. A good example of
  > that is most Java packages that require to workaround very distro
  > unfriendly java build systems.

As a long term thing, it would be nice to do something to fix those
build systems.  When I designed the GNU specs for build systems, the
idea was that every package should be buildable using `./configure'
and `make all'.  They could work differently inside, but that interface
should be universal.

Could you tell me the nams of 4 or 5 Java packages it would be good
to make buildable in a reasonable way?  Those suggestions would make
it easier to recroit people to work on this.

It would be good if they used different kinds of build mechanisms
so a volunteer could have a choice of what problem to work on.