> "the Web" consists of a lot of different protocols, and most people don't
> have dedicated lines for private exchanges.

The only protocols used on the Web, so far as I am aware, are HTTP and
HTTPS.  And if it isn't public it isn't part of the Web.

> So please give an example for some software which you consider
> free-for-the-taking due to it being on some public server without any
> notices concerning the legal status of the software.

Hit any site that uses Javascript and you will have a lump of software
downloaded and running on your machine before you have seen any notices.
Of course, that Javascript is certainly protected by copyright, but the
copy of it on your machine is just as certainly yours.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]