Hi,
        Here's my current wish list.  I'm sure other people have their
        own!  Where these things are already on the TODO list, i've
        indicated that.  The ones that aren't -- if you feel like any
        are good ideas, then please add them!
        Maybe my wishes can be used to help prioritise the TODOs.

        Performance: make lilypond smaller and faster!
        Maintainability:
                simplify and explain the class structure

        Clefs:
                -- `auto' clef, that chooses from a predefined palette
                of clefs, using the number of leger lines needed for a
                bar to decide what to use.  For example, when
                Standchen is transposed for bass voice, the RH-piano
                part is almost entirely well below the treble staff.

                I envisage \Clef \auto "treble" "bass"; so lilypond can choose
                between treble and bass clef as necessary.

        Time signatures:
                -- Mediaeval time signatures (full circle,
                left-facing half-circle, right-facing half-circle,
                full-circle with dot, half-circles with dot,
                full-circle or half circle with vertical slash.
                (indicating various times and prolations)

                -- Renaissance and early baroque time signatures
                   (figure '3' almost full height of staff; figure '2'
                   almost full height of staff; either possibly in
                   conjunction with a circle or half circle with or
                   without a dot)

                -- Modern time signatures (Common time, alla breve,
                   etc)
                -- Polymetric time signatures (like 3/2 4/4 both
                   together: any single bar is either 3/2 or 4/4)

        Better anacrusis handling (an anacrusis borrows time for the
        first bar from the end of the section; the \partial command
        almost does this (it adds extra onto the  bar it appears in)

        Ornaments
                -- Grace notes (already in TODO)
                -- trills, mordents, turns, appogiatura, acciatura
                   (trills already in the TODO)
        Figuring
                -- Better support for basso-continuo (we can do the
                figures at present, with constructs like c-5-6, but
                not c-\flat or c-\maj6 (rendered as a 6 with an
                oblique bar through its tail)

        First and second time endings (volta, in TODO)

        Better GrandStaff (In TODO, but also add voices that cross
        between the halves of a grandstaff, and Grandstaffs for Organ
        that have three staves)

        Guitar string numbers.