On Mon, 4 May 1998, you wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > Well - I think you'll have to struggle very hard to reduce the
> > lilypond time consumption to close to that of LaTeX, at least
> > on my computer. LaTeX may, however, be very slow on systems in
> > which LaTeX has to load a lot of files from nfs-mounted disks
>
> Do you know any fixes for this?  I have to use TeX over NFS here.
> Plain TeX/LaTeX is fine, but as soon as i start muddling with
> TEXINPUTS, hell is loose: then it takes a minute to run TeX

My colleague Bård Grimsmo posted this some weeks ago, to speed up our
LaTeX running at job, where TeX is nfs-mounted. I will try to translate
it.... I don't know if it will help you, but you might give it a try.

From: Bard Grimsmo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello LaTeX-friends,

I have installed mylatex.ltx, which may speed up LaTeX-jobs with many
"usepackage" in the heading.

USAGE:

If your document is named rapport.tex, and you usually write

% latex rapport.tex

then you can save/dump the startup of the job (i.e. everything before
\begin{document}) into a local file by writing:

% makefmt rapport.tex

(makefmt is a script containing the command "initex \&latex mylatex.ltx
$1", which generates a file named mylatex.fmt. :

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/texmf_62/initex \&latex mylatex.ltx $1

)

When you later on want to run LaTeX on the same file, you can write:

% mylatex rapport.tex

Beware!!! You can only change what is written after \begin{document}
between each run. If you want to change anything in front of
\begin{document}, you will have to rerun "makefmt rapport.tex".

The package mylatex.ltx is found at CTAN, directory
macros/latex/contrib/supported/carlisle/

--
Jan Arne Fagertun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Fax: +47 73593580
http://www.termo.unit.no/mtf/people/janaf/          Phone: +47 73596890