On Saturday, 27 June 1998, "Jeffrey B. Reed" writes:

> Great idea using constructed yodl to convert the documentation!  One gotcha
> is when you use links the resolved file must be in the path and the first
> one found.  In my case I don't usually have `.' in my path and I had pre6 in
> installed.  So what happened was the link in out/yodl2txt actually called
> pre6/yodl2whatever.  I remedied this by adding `.' to the front of my path
> which is a reasonable thing to do.

Reasonable perhaps, but it should work without '.' in your path.  It's
reasonable for root not to have '.' in the path.

> Another thing is... An excerpt from add-html-footer.py.  Your killing me
> here:)
> topdir = os.environ['HOME'] + '/usr/src/' +
> lower(os.environ['PACKAGE_NAME'])

Yes, this is probably not the smartest code i ever typed.  However, we'd
really like to drop all environment var dependencies (.._SOURCEDIR).

> We don't need to force file structures on folks, do we?

Well, we don't need to, but perhaps we want to...
People who just compile and install lily should not see anything out
of the ordinary.  Otoh, if we want to do something for 'maintainers'
that need to make and apply several patches a day, we need some structuring,
e.g.

    lilypond -> lilypond-x.x.x
    lilypond-x.x.x/
    test/
    releases/
    patches/

To assume $HOME/usr/src to get to these directories (that you don't
need in the normal build process) makes everything soo easy...
Perhaps we should invoke all tools should be run through make, and
have make set (PACKAGE)_SOURCEDIR

> Can't we leverage srcdir or something?

Maybe, but i don't understand.

> Also we still have a: import pwd
>
> in packagepython.py

Ok, i'll 'try' it somewhere.

Thanks,

Jan

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The Music Typesetter
http://www.digicash.com/~jan         | http://www.digicash.com/~jan/lilypond