[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Using autoconf is great, but you missed one oppurtunity to make it
> even greater.  For us with several architectures it is very handy to
> be able to compile separately from the same source tree using the
> VPATH feature of make.  This is all supported by autoconf, but it is
> currently not possible to do this with lilypond (or yodl).

Please read the file Documentation/automake.urgh. Hanwen and Jan
did a very serious attempt to use automake but decided to try the
current solution instead. It's probably possible to extend stepmake
to use VPATH, but I leave that question to the main authors.

So far you should run configure directly in the lilypond-xxx/ directory
to avoid the errors you attached.

    /Mats