I am _not_ suggesting that we move to this compiler, but it was
   pointed out to me that 'egcs 1.1 is current'.  I suggest we stay the
   course with what folks are using now, and leave a port to egcs 1.x for
   later.  Or I could be all wet and I am doing something wrong.  In
   which case I deserve a good torching for using stupid OS's :)

We got some patches to make LilyPond work with egcs-1.1 (some time
ago.)  Unfortunately, I can't find them anymore (I remember they were
by a guy in the UK).   I would really like to fix this, but so far I
haven't found any RedHat RPMs of egcs-1.1.