Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:
|On Saturday, 26 September 1998, "Jeffrey B. Reed" writes:
|
|> The [Nice lily picture] is fuzzy in places.  The staff lines in
|> particular.  Are the staff lines fuzzy on your box?  I get the same
|> results regardless of what tool I use to display the graphic, ie
|> internet explorer, xnview, etc.  My video devices are actually pretty
|> good quality.  The settings are 1024 by 768, 65536 colors, 75Hz
|> refresh. I wonder what is going on?
|
|Ah.  It's the anti-aliasing.  In ps-to-gifs, we should probably
|(will pl12) use a resolution that has a discrete number of pixels
|between the stafflines, iso -r200, try -r180.

A resolution of 180 works better, thanks.

Jan,

I did however notice that the extra processing time to increase the
resolution of the image and then scale it back is pretty significant.
Granted you get a little better image, is it worth the long build
times?  The output device for html after all is only 100 dpi at best,
whereas the hard copy output is 300+ dpi.  In other words I use HTML
documentation as a quick reference and as long as it is of reasonable
quality it is acceptable.  A printed document, on the other hand, I
use for more comprehensive learning and my expectations are much
higher. BTW the LaTeX documents are beautiful!

Cheers,
Jeff

--
Jeffrey B. Reed