> Is there any Latex environment for inserting pieces of music in Latex
   > documents?

   You may want to check-out yodl, we especially added support for
   mixing music (mudela) and text.  It should be handier than plain
   latex, maybe unless you need to do real fancy latex things.

I'll have to  disagree on this. (sorry).  Yodl is fine if you want
.txt and .html and .dvi from the same source, but it slightly sucks:
you have to make compromises for the other conversions to work.