I typed in a four part tune and found that the time signature had to
   be declared in each part.  This seems strange because the time stuff
   is handled by the score context, so I should only have to declare one
   time signature for the music, it seems.  The following version
   works,

Could you send a faulty example?

   I noticed that \relative and \transpose interact in an odd way.

Yup. Correct.  \relative applies a transformation on the information
that follows it.    \transpose does too.  The two are not commutative

If you do \transpose first, then the names and octaves are all
different up.  \relative will give weird effects.

   Of course, the simple solution is to avoid using \transpose inside
   \relative, but it might be desireable to do one of two things: change
   the behavior so that it makes some kind of sense, or print a warning
   message of some sort.  One place where this could be particularly
   surprising is inside .fly files where there is an implicit \relative.
   If you use \transpose inside a .fly file, you'll see the weird
   behaviors.

I could make \relative not look `inside' a \transpose.  Then you would
have to do

     \transpose \relative

inside a .fly file for useful behaviour.  How would you like that?