On Thursday, 15 October 1998, Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> > > I just scrapped this hooking into TeX part, so its obsolete anyway.
> >
> > But won't that make it even more difficult for users who don't know TeX,
> > to install and use Lilypond?
> >

> I don't really know.  A sure fact is that automatic detection of the
> directories is a complete mess, and the current explanations aren't
> simple either.

The only difference is that after installing LilyPond, users will
have to

    export TEXINPUTS=$TEXINPUTS:/usr/local/share/lilypond
    export MFINPUTS=$MFINPUTS:/usr/local/share/lilypond

instead of doing

    texhash

no?

Don't we already have a /etc/profile.d entry that could automagically
set this (at least for some of the more ignorant crowd of redhat users ;-)?

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/lilypond