> The greatest news in this patch, however, is the support for
> major and minor keys (easily extendible to dorian a.s.o.).
> Just write \major or \minor to indicate if all following
> \key commands are given in \major or \minor, respectively.
> Note that a \major or \minor doesn't change the key directly,
> just influences the coming \key commands.

I'm wondering if this is really the best way to do this.  It struck me
as somewhat roundabout.  There is a property called keymodality that
is set to shift the interpretation of keys.  This creates a kind of
unnatural context dependent behavior.

What about simply having a second optional argument to the \key
keyword.

So you could write

   \key a 3;

in order to obtain A-minor.  Then identifiers "minor" and "major" can
be created that are simply equal to 3 and 0 respectively, so you can
then do "\key a \minor;"

What is the behavior of \key with keymodality nonzero when the
specified key is not sharp or flat?  How does it decide whether to use
sharps or flats?