[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>    Because, well, umm.  We thought putting files into a TeX tree was a
>    messy approach to use, so we install everything in the LilyPond
>    directory.  Since one needs to set various environment variables
>    anyway, this seems the cleanest solution to me.
>
>    I modified the install procedure to install the TFMs into
>    $(prefix)/lilypond/tfm/, and symlink the TeX TFMs in
>    $(prefix)/lilypond/cmtfm/
>
> Putting everything into the LilyPond directory is OK, but you should
> also produce the correct symlinks.
>
> Why `cmtfm' and not `tfm'?  Currently, LilyPond creates a link to the
> $TEXMF/fonts/tfm/public/cm directory.  Why that?  I can't see a reason
> for this.  Maybe I'm missing something...

LilyPond reads the cm TFM files to get spacing information for texts.
I don't see any other easy (and obvious to persons with non
standard TeXs)  way to get to those files.

> BTW, using lilypond 1.1.32 (with yodl 1.31.11), I get a lot of
> problems if I say `make dvi' in the Documentation/tex directory...

The examples in the manuals trigger some ugly bugs in LilyPond.

>    > What was the reason to remove the --with-texmf-dir option?
>    > Assuming a TDS conformant TeX tree, no problems should occur
>    > during installation.
>
>    How can we reliably autodetect the correct directories? That was my
>    problem.
>
> You can't.  And why should you?

Because I get approximately 20 e-mails per day about LilyPond.  I want
the installation to work out without handholding from my part.

> This is the very reason to have a
> --with-texmf-dir option.  If it hasn't been set, you should emit a
> warning, and no links are created.
>
> FYI: Using the command
>
>   kpsewhich --expand-path=\$TEXMF
>
> shows both local (if existent) and global TEXMF trees, but it's not
> possible to decide which is which.

So?  I still have to figure where in this large tree I need to
read/write files.