Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Well i'm surely not going to argue that Lily has no bugs, or even that
> Lily is lacking trivial features that most other notation programs have
> (could you put an url to your 'examples', that talks a bit easier).

Well, I looked at this a while back, printed out some examples, and scurried over to
the
music dept.  Since then, I've not been able to ghostview any of the output lily
generates (ghostview says "Error: /undefinedfilename in (lily.ps)" because I've not
installed it in elec-eng) but I did send some questions off to the group about the
points I mentioned.  BTW, I did mean "Star-Spangled Banner" in the original post --- I
must be starting to suffer short-term memory loss due to lack of coffee 8-)

The original quesions were all answered and we made a policy decision to go with
lilypond.  I've attached them at the bottom to show you what I mean, but I've already
had infomative answers back from Han-Wen Nienhuys and others.  Let me say again: we're
comitted to using Lilypond, because we think it will eventually be the best package,
because it is open.  I want our code to be open too.  We can't use MUP for that reason,
although I do agree with Bob that it /seems/ more mature, I'd have to agree with jeff
that prop. formats are dangerous.  But then, you see, I'm not wanting to get nice
printed output yesterday, so I'm not really a "real user".

> But hearing that someone finds another programs output //that much// better
> than Lily's made me curious!
> So today i took a look again at Mup http://www.Arkkra.com/, and converted
> one of MUPs samples (sic.) to mudela.
>
> > Looking forward to being proved wrong 8-)
>
> Judgement of what is 'fine output' will always be rather subjective;
> there's no right or wrong here, so you may best see for yourself:
>
> PostScript output of MUP and Lily:
>     http://www.Arkkra.com/doc/star.ps
>
>     http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/lilypond/input/test/out-www/stars-and-stripes.ps.gz

I'd really like to have a look at this, but I can't at the moment.  BTW, it's just
plain
PS, not gzipped, yes?  Any chance of a printable version?  Otherwise I can run across
music and get somebody to run lilypond against it.  I hope things have improved in
newer
versions we've not put up here yet...  also, the .png files have mysteriously
disappeared...

At least most of the points I raised in my attached email wouldn't be an issue with a
WYSIWYG front end: you would see the problems on screen and avoid them.  Our project is
also tied in with some musicological work, probably using humdrum, so as you can
imagine
it's a big piece of code.  We're still arguing about architecture so far, so please
don't expect working stuff soon 8-)

All the best,

Nick/

--
Dr. N.J.Bailey-----------------------------------------------
Lecturer in Electronic and Electrical Engineering

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Hello, Han-Wen!
>
> Just in the process of refining our grant application for this here
> musicological project which should include a graphics front-end which can
> generate Lilypond source.  We've been looking around and would like to pester
> you with some questions about some buglets that might be demonstrated by the
> examples.  These are sub-optimalities in the printed output, and we are
> wondering if they can be overcome by simply changing the Lilypond input.
> We're not asking you to do that!  Just to tell us if the things we've got
> here are a result of the source you typed, or are in some way "hard-coded"
> into the project.  If it is the former, our score editor will of course
> produce totally perfect output for lilypond to work with and have no problems
> (yes, really 8-), but if it is the latter, we will possibly need to
> contribute some fixes (if you will let us break your code 8-).  I'm trying to
> get a handle on this to estimate total project man-hours.
>

> http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/hanwen/lilypond/mutopia/out-www/standchen.ps.gz
>
>         Bar 1: the pianissimo marking collides with the quaver noteheads
> (?bad kerning)

Lilypond `bug'.  Solving it is difficult without major overhaul,
because the pp and quaver aren't logically connected.

(I put `bug' in quotes, because to me a bug is something that does not
conform to specifications; solving the pp problem is not in the specs..)

>         Bar 71 (last page): Bad collision between phrase mark, forte mark and
> triplet "3"

idem.  In general, avoiding graphical collisions is difficult to do
automatically.

>         Throughout: ties and slurs uniform over whole length (not thicker in
> the middle: ?font)

This is tunable, I think.

>         Throughout: Words aren't centre-justified under noteheads; "Lei-
> der", not "Lei  -
>         der", and no use of "_" ("mich!" on last page, not "mich_______!")

Lilypond.  Needs fixing, but shouldn't be very difficult.

>         Page 2: penultimate system, middle bar: tie cuts thorough
> semiquavers.
>         Last page.  Ties unusual (in LH both go down.  Shouldn't they go in
> opposite directions?)

Lilypond `bug', but might be tunable somehow.  Fixing this shouldn't
be too difficult.