Hi,
        Running lilypond always gives me this error:
        calculated exactly: 31 lines (with an average of 36.8 columns)
        time: 57.05 seconds
        Paper output to stille.tex...
        ERROR: In expression (header o "GNU LilyPond 1.1.7." ...):
        ERROR: Unbound variable: header

scm.ly is empty -- is it meant to be?

1.1.3 was the last one that worked for me.  Since then I applied the
patches, with no errors from patch, and a clean build.

ly2dvi always pauses for about 30 seconds, then says:
       ly2dvi 0.0.6
       executing: lilypond  stille 2>&1
       GNU LilyPond 1.1.7.
       warning: can't find file: `init.ly'
       ly2dvi hmm, I could not find an output file name

I do not have any LILYPOND or TEX environment variables, but use the
compiled-in defaults.  To make sure, I did
    env - PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin ly2dvi stille
but got the same result.  Is ly2dvi setting environment variables?