On Monday, 7 December 1998, Peter Chubb writes:

>       One niggle:  It's usual for staccato and tenuto and such-like
>       markings to be put outside the staff, so they're easy to see.

Depends on your music, i guess.
Wanske, and my fine B"arenreiter say: follow into staff.

See init/scripts.ly:

  staccato = \script { "staccato" 1 -1 0 0 0 }
  tenuto = \script {"tenuto" 1 -1 0 0 0 }

the first number is the boolean: follow_into_staff.
Make your own script.ly, or redefine the accents you want this
non-default behaviour for.

>       Lilypond puts them at a fixed distance from the notehead,
>       instead.  This is a problem, say, for a stem-up a' or b' in the
>       treble clef.

Btw, the distance is not fixed, but always between stafflines.

>       And lily never seems to put such markings over a stem, even
>       when that'd be more apropriate.

You can force the postion: UP: a^.  DOWN: a_.
(i hope we'll change this soon :-)

>       Can this be fixed easily?

What would the rule be, to set the accent at the stem-side?

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/lilypond