    Han-Wen> I have a counter proposal: I would like someone (you?) to
    Han-Wen> be in charge of a LilyPond internals document (a FAQ,
    Han-Wen> HOWTO, whatever you want).  Whenever there is a technical
    Han-Wen> question or a technical explanation on the mailing list,
    Han-Wen> this is put into the document.  If we can keep this thing
    Han-Wen> alive for half a year, we probably have gathered enough
    Han-Wen> material for good documentation.  In the same time, I can
    Han-Wen> try to be your mentor in explaining LilyPond.  But *you*
    Han-Wen> must ask the questions.

Yeah, I would be willing to take this on.  Let's start with figuring
out what you feel is working well, and is unlikely to go through any
major overhauls.  This makes sense, because it would be silly do all
the work on stuff that is going to change drastically in the next
version.  (Of course, in the process of documentation we may very well
discover something that should be changed.  This is a good thing.)

For instance, the basic scheme of Requests, Engravers, and the stuff
described in the current internals.doc seems to work well, and has
been working for quite some time.  Basic notes on the staff, barlines,
and clefs there for a year now, and we might consider the mechanism
stable?

John

--
John Galbraith                    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Arizona,            home phone: (520) 327-6074

"As had been true historically, Gates' concern was not making great
 products, but keeping the world locked into using his products."
    --- Wendy Goldman Rohm, The Microsoft File