[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> The underlying assumption in this academic's preference for the dotted
> rest is that a rest with an augmentation dot is in some way more
> symmetrical than a rest accompanied by another rest of half its value.

I don't think so.  When I read, I recognize a dotted note or rest as
being one symbol.  Especially in ternary meters, the dotted symbol is
a rhythmic unit. Using them reduces the amount of symbols (and thus
information) that I have to cope with while reading.

BTW, have a look in your copy of Read, page 115, 1st paragraph.

> Who is Chlapik? :-)

Author of:
Book {chlapik87,
  note = {An clearly written book for the casually interested
reader. It shows s
ome of the conventions and difficulties in printing music HWN},
  year =  {1987},
  title = {Die Praxis des Notengraphikers},
  author = {Herbert Chlapik},
  publisher = {Doblinger},
  isbn ={ISBN 3-9000 035-96-2},

I think he was the chief engraver of Doblinger editions in Austria.