[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> One possible approach would be to have a second multiplier factor,
> based on the actual length of the note rather than solely its length
> relative to others in the same bar. I don't see any reason why it
> couldn't work in exactly the same way as the current
> arithmetic_basicspace, and blend with it.

I don't think this would give a useful effect: remember that the
parameters are global to the score, so your approach would also space
the 4 notes widely if they are surrounded by (even more widely spaced)
half and whole notes.

BTW, It is much easier to see problems and try solutions when I have
an example at hand.  It would help me if you could provide me with
small set of sonatas that exhibit problems.  I could keep them in the
mutopia/D.Scarlatti directory, and focus on improving lily to make
those examples come out perfect.