Just to mention that the fact that \autochange only looks at the
first thread of a voice to decide which staff to put the voice in for
each column is turning out to be very useful. One thing that had
always bothered me was how awkward Scarlatti's notation is for
running thirds played with one hand that cross c'. If I code them

thread{e' d' a b a g}
thread{c' b c' g f e}

Lily keeps all the thirds together, the first two being on staff=up
the last four on staff=down - much easier to read than the original,
but lets me keep all the other advantages of Scarlatti's notation.

Now, to see if I can work out a way of putting rests in the staff I
want, most importantly _before_ notes when a voice changes staff...

John