> What is the best context for writing orchestral scores?

You can take a look at the layout I used for the Gade uverture,
which you can find in the distribution in mutopia/N.W.Gade/ and
in postscript form (it takes some time to process) at
http://www.gmd.de/Misc/Music/scores/

As you can see, I used several Staffgroups and a GrandStaff
to mark the different instrument groups. I got the idea
from the book (in swedish) by Börje Tyboni, which is listed
in the engraving bibliography in Lilypond. I haven't checked
any other sources, only looked at a few printed scores.
Also, the \OrchestralScoreContext will give you bar numbers and
rehearsal marks on the top of each system.

   /Mats