Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> With the 1.3.x series of Lilypond, Han-Wen and Jan are trying to
> make an even more flexible tool that can handle all our strange
> wishes on music notation. However, I'm a bit worried about how
> this will affect ordinary use of Lilypond.
> When I see syntax changes like
>
> -       \property Voice.beamAutoEnd = "1/4"
> +       \property Voice.beamAutoEnd = #(make-moment 1 4)
>
> or
>
> -               \property Score.beamquantisation = \none
> +               \property Score.beamQuantisation = #'none
>
> I have two major objections. First of all, I have to press
> more keys on the computer when I enter the Mudela code.
> secondly, I fear that this will raise the threshold for
> a new user. On the other hand, I might be too idealistic,
> maybe the reality already today is that Lilypond is a tool
> for hobby musicians with a M.Sc. in computer science (like
> me). If this is the desired target group, then I guess I
> shouldn't complain.
>
> Dont' misunderstand me, I think it's great to be able to use
> a flexible scripting language like Guile to be able to
> implement or change certain features, but I'm not sure I
> want it in the ``everyday'' Mudela code.
>
> One relevant comparison could be LaTeX, which has lots of
> users who only know the basic ideas and a small group of
> people who implement style files with new layout features.
>
>     /Mats

I know far less of Lilypond typesetting than Mats. Yet I allow myself to
follow up his thread. It has been my experience during the typesetting
of the few scores I've actually produced that the task already with the
1.2.x releases of Lilypond strongly resembles that of computer scripting
or programming especially in comparison with the MusiXTeX utilities
which I use frequently.

I'm perfectly aware of the complicated nature of a _music_ producing
tool (lilypond) where typesetting is only one among other types of
output. But I also think it is important to the designers of Lilypond to
consider the needs of it's users. Of course I can only speak for myself
when I express the wish that in my role as a lilypond user I may keep
the music perspective in foreground while the programming perspective
shouldn't be stressed more than absolutely necessary. I agree with Mats
that else many potential lilypond users would give up caused by the
Lilypond scripting complexities.

Regards
--
Christian Mondrup, Computer Programmer
Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus