> > > In the attached file I can't get the
> > > stem of the grace notes up while keeping
> > > the other notes stem down (slur down, of course).
> > > See treble measures 3 and 6.
> > > Still buggy or am I doing something wrong?

With the following declarations, you can easily set the
directions of stems and slurs for the grace notes.

grstemup   = \property Grace.verticalDirection = \up
grstemboth = \property Grace.verticalDirection = \center
grstemdown = \property Grace.verticalDirection = \down
grslurup   = \property Grace.slurVerticalDirection = \up
grslurboth = \property Grace.slurVerticalDirection = \center
grslurdown = \property Grace.slurVerticalDirection = \down

Example:
% Gracenotes with stem down and slur up
\grace{\gracestemdown \graceslurup g16 ( a} b4

If you for example want all grace slurs in a whole
piece directed downwards, it's easier to set the
property in the paper section:

\score{
  \paper{
    \translator {