And again to the list

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> > I think this is a very good idea actually - I'd go as far to say it would
> > be simplest if we restrict submissions to Mutopia to one of three licenses:
> >
> > 1) Public Domain (already being used - must be used if music is entirely
> >    out of copyright)
> > 2) A BSD Style license which we write and put on the website
> > 3) A copyleft license (still to be decided)
> >
> > This makes it easier for submitters (they don't have to make up their own
> > BSD Style license if they want to use one) and people downloading the music
> > (they can see clearly from the table of music exactly which license is
> > being used). Does this make sense?

I think the Mutopia Project should really have a single licence policy. That
would make it much simpler for all and clearcut. What is the purpose after all ?
How did they handle the licencing issue on the Gutemberg project ? Does anyone
know ?
I would go for a licence that allows performing for money but completely forbids
royalties even of modified pieces.

> I kind of agree that it's practical to have a few standard formulations.
> However, there are cases where it might be necessary to add some
> extra lines. One example is a score I typeset where the library owning
> the manuscript requested that they would be acknowledged in the
> edition.

That does not have to form part of the licence.
If you take for instance the GNU GPL for software, they specifically say you can
add your company/private specifics at the end of the licence provided it does not
conflict and/or alter licencing terms.
Simply acknowledging the source has never altered licencing terms and is
recognised practice.

Regards,
Alain.