> Aloha,
>
> This weekend I upgraded from lilypond 1.2.0 (on Win95) to
> http://home.austin.rr.com/jbr/jeff/lilypond/lilypond-1.3.39.jbr1-95.exe and
> found the following changes:
> - lyrics added with \addlyrics are now typeset completely below the
> ChoirStaff instead of between the upper and lower Staff, as was the case in
> 1.2.0
> - the \property Staff.barNonAuto = 1 is not recognised any more: I get
> unwanted barlines.
>
> Are these changes by design, is there a workaround, or should I downgrade
> back to version 1.2.0?
>
> Any help appreciated.

There are lots of changes. A first step would be to apply the
program convert-mudela to your file (don't know if it works under
Win95). Then, you should read the manual (which isn't completely
up-to-date, 1.3.39 is a development version) and you could also
take a look at the change log (at the Lilypond WWW site).

Regarding your specific questions, I think the placement of lyrics
has been answered on this list some months ago, try searching the
list archives. For properties, the values should now be given in
Guile (which is a LISP dialect), which means that a TRUE value is
no more given by 1, but by ##t:

\property Staff.barNonAuto = ##t

Maybe the best source of documentation for all the different
Lilypond features, is the large set of example files in
the source code distribution. I recommend that you download
lilypond-1.3.39.tar.gz and extract the directories input/ and
mutopia/.

      /Mats