On Monday, 10 April 2000, Dirk Lattermann <> writes:

repl: bad addresses:
        Dirk Lattermann <> -- no mailbox in local-part (>)

> I'm entering a piece where my printed score puts two horns in D on the same
> staff (and 2 in F, and two flutes, and to oboi, etc.).
> Mostly, they are noted as two-notes-chords, sometimes unisono with two
> stems, sometimes single notes marked "a 2", sometimes marked "1." or "2.".

Yes, ok.

> Now I'd like to know if each of the players has got his own special part
> or if you are playing off the combined part, extracting what you play
> 'in real time' :-) . If the second is true, it's much easier to handle
> with lilypond. If the first is true, I'd like to enter the music for the
> individual parts and have them combined somehow automatically (this might
> be nearly impossible).

Look at mutopia/Coriolan, same problem there.  Currently, it can only
be hacked a bit, and you can't get it quite right without destroying
the "idea" of the music.

While you normally play from the combined part, each instrument has its
own notes.  To save space, and perhaps to provide some extra context,
the two parts are usually combined on one staff.  But you want to enter
both parts separately (ie, when they both play the same notes, you want
to enter them in both parts, but Lily should only display them once).

This is all quite hairy.  Hopefully we can get this right (or better)
during 1.5 or so.

Greetings,

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter