On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> On Friday, 28 April 2000, Harti Brandt writes:

> We use help2man to generate the manual pages, which implies that they
> can be build only after the executable has been built.

That seems to be the problem - you shouldn't run perl during install. It's
best to avoid everything except install, cp, mv, rm and the like.

I also remember lily building fonts during install, but this seems not to
be the case anymore.

> For now, try:
>
>     make all man
>     su -c 'make install'

ok. (su -c is non-standard, btw. :-)
That does the job. There are also places, where 'strip' is called, but
fortunately all my systems use ELF, so that's no problem.

> Maybe we could add a rule:
>
>     all: man
>
> otherwise, we'll add this to INSTALL.

Think it's better to add the rule