On Tuesday, 23 May 2000, Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > Does anyone know how this is meant to be done; ie, why is
> > /usr/bin/time so lame on Linux?
>

>      "Master," I complained, "the programmer who wrote this code is
>      lazy! The bug is simple to correct and yet he's done nothing
>      about it."
>
>      My Master raised his eyebrows and asked, "why, then, have you not
>      fixed it yourself?"
>
>      I was then enlightened.

Of course, I had a look at the sources.  Time hasn't been updated since
July 1996.  It uses a signal handler 'resuse' that should fill-in the
resources the system uses.  From a comment in time:

   Systems known to fill in the average resident set size fields:
   SunOS 4.1.3 (m68k and sparc)
   Mt. Xinu 4.3BSD on HP9000/300 (m68k)
   Ultrix 4.4 (mips)
   IBM ACIS 4.3BSD (rt)
   Sony NEWS-OS 4.1C (m68k)

   Systems known to not fill them in:
   OSF/1 1.3 (alpha)
   BSD/386 1.1 (anything derived from NET-2)
   NetBSD 1.0 (4.4BSD-derived)
   Irix 5.2 (R4000)
   Solaris 2.3
   Linux 1.0

I can only assume, that numerous hackers more brilliant than me
supplied patches to Linus, but were rejected for some reason.
Or, there is a better way/program to monitor system resourses
on Linux.  In any case, that's where I'd start searching after
having done 'apropos resuse', and before trying to make a port
to Linux 2.x?

In any case, this smells fishy.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter