On Wednesday, 26 July 2000, Romaz writes:

> Questo è un messaggio multi-parte scritto in formato MIME.
> --------------DAF9C98114FF810A5480AEC8
>
> Hi,
>
> I've this code:
>
> [ es8 f a es' d r16 cis ]
>
> so, I've a rest into a stem. The output is very ugly (see attached gif).

The output seems not so bad to me.  What exactly is it that you find
ugly?  Beamed rests are a feature of LilyPond 1.3, if you don't want
a rest beamed, don't ask for it, ie do:

    es8 f a es' d r16 cis   % use auto-beamer

or

    [es8 f a es' d] [r16 cis]  % specify two beams

or

    [es8 f a es' d] r16 cis  % specify one beam

Greetings,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter