On Thursday, 27 July 2000, Scott Ballantyne writes:

> In the following fragment, the first \stemup, \stemdown section does
> not do it ought. The second, identical \stemup, \stemdown section
> behaves correctly. lilypond 1.3.74 on a sparc2 with OpenBSD.

>From this fragment, I take it that both sections are not identical
(I cannot tell for sure, because its only a fragment).  Probably, the
`{' after first `\stemup' reates a new voice context; without \stemup.
You won't find this kind of structure in any of the example files.

Try something like:

    \include "english.ly"
    $bass_verse2 = \context Staff \notes\relative c <
            \context Voice=vbone {
                    \stemup <e4. d> <cs e> e ds
            }
            \context Voice = vbtwo {
                     \stemdown
                     b8()e,4
                     e8()a4
                     as8()fs4
                     fs8()b4
            }

> $bass_verse2 = \notes\relative c {
>       <
>               \stemup{
>                       <e4. d>
>                       <cs e>
>                       e ds}
>               \context Voice = vbtwo {
>                        \stemdown {
>                                          b8()e,4
>                                          e8()a4
>                                          as8()fs4
>                                          fs8()b4
>                               }}
>       >

Greetings,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter