Thanks Jan, that works beautifully. Incidentally, I got the syntax
(but not the typo) off of the current web pages, in the property
list.

On another topic, is there a way to get slurs to connect the top notes
of two chords? At present, anything I try seems to get a slur from the
middle note of the first chord to the top note of the second. I
noticed there's the same flaw in one of the long examples from the
webpage (Standchen, mm 9).

Ideally, I'd like to be able to do <a c e>()<b d f> and have three
slurs, a()b, c()d, e()f, like you can with the tie syntax, but at
present, lilypond rejects this as a syntax error.

Thanks again for your help,
sdb