> Johan
>
> You really should look at abcm2ps at http://moinejf.free.fr/  you have to
> untar the source code and compile it.  It is very clean ansi C so any
> compiler will work, even MSC.
>
> It seems to be every bit as powerful as lily, but it uses a fraction of the
> CPU.  On my Win 98 computer, Lily + Python + Texmf takes 40 Megabytes.  But
> abcm2ps takes only 500K.  And abcm2ps runs 30 times faster!!

Interesting, I didn't know that abc had been extended to
handle music with several voices. However, browsing through
the documentation I certainly miss many features from
Lilypond. One larger example which uses quite many features
could be found at
http://www.gmd.de/Misc/Music/scores/Welcome.html#gade
(and Lilypond has been extended significantly since this
example was produced).
Also, Lilypond seems to spend more effort on the layout,
at the expence of some CPU time and memory requirements.

abcm2ps may be a perfect alternative, depending on the
needs of the user, but I personally will not abandon
Lilypond.

   /Mats