There is a rule that you can't have multiple time values on the same
stem, but there is not now nor has there ever been a corresponding rule
against multiple time values on the same note head. In noting piano
music it has become customary to use two note heads where a note occurs
simultateously in two parts, where the writer for whatever reason
doesn't want to use a rest. This is perfectly understood in piano music,
but it is *unacceptable* in music for solo strings, where two heads
*must* be taken to mean two strings, and one head to mean one string.

The use of a second stem, indicating a rest smaller than or equal to a
given note, has always been very common in guitar music, even when
one is dotted. This used to bother me as being a possible ambiguity, but
there is none because the longer time value or the one not beamed
*always* takes precedence, otherwise, rests must be used. Thus, the
shorter time cannot be dotted or tied, but the longer (or equal) may be.
There is no reason not to put a stem with beam even on a dotted whole
note. It has often been done.

The usage became rare only with the manufacture of millions of pianos in
the 1880's because of the design of a decent upright. Piano domination
accounts for an irrational bias against it today. I caught it myself,
like a disease.

Most old guitar music has it. Banjo music needs it desperately. It is
easy to read.

In order to implement this notation satisfactorily, a silent note or
headrest is needed.

*************And before I could send this, you did it for violin a due.
Great minds!

It deserves an *easy* syntax:
not \headoff \headon or such but a *single letter* to indicate what
it is with the the pitch and time value. A unison without a silent
note of course should have two heads. This usage is also necessary for a
midi version to make sense. This is not a configuration issue, because
there may be many instances of real and false unisons in a single piece.
The pianist should simply give the unwanted note a midi velocity of 0,
but see the note as he is accustomed to doing. For strings, the silent
note's head is not seen, not is it heard, but the stem is seen, or you
have true unison, two noteheads each with a velocity. I assume it does
that now, thanks to your good programming with contexts, I think. Under
Encore, unisons don't work right. :-)