> Hello,
>
> When I tried to run the command:
>
> ly2dvi angels.ly
>
> (as directed in the documentation), it parsed thru the file and gave the
> errors:
>
> : incorrect mudela version: 1.3.41 (1.1.52, 1.2.0)
> ly2dvi hmm, I could not find an output file

It seems that you have a very old version of Lilypond (1.2.0).
The latest version officially declared stable is 1.2.17, but
the latest version 1.3.80 is better in many respects.
>From your mail header, I guess that you run Windows. In that
case you could find a reasonably recent version at
http://home.austin.rr.com/jbr/jeff/lilypond/

Anyway, whatever version of Lilypond you use, you have to
use the corresponding input syntax. Since the program is
still in heavy development, also the syntax is changing.
I include a version of angels.ly corresponding to 1.2.0,
but, again, I definitely recommend that you update your
installation.

> Thanks,
> Fred
>
> P.S. Is this mail associated with a newsgroup?

No, but the mails on this mailing list are archived,
see the Lilypond WWW page, www.lilypond.org.

  /Mats

\header{
filename =       "angles.ly";
title =  "Angels We Have Heard on High";
description =    "Christmas Carol.";

composer =       "French Carol, 1854";
enteredby =      "Jeffrey B. Reed";
copyright =      "public domain";
}

global = \notes {
        \time 2/2;
        \keysignature  bes;
        \tempo 2=60;
}
\version "1.2.0";
% \include "score-paper.ly"

flute1 = \notes \relative c'' {
        \clef violin;
        \property Staff.instrument = "flute"

        a'4 a a c   |
        c4. bes8 a2 |
        a4 g a c    |

        a4. g8 f2   |
        a4 a a c    |
        c4. bes8 a2 |

        a4 g a c                |
        a4. g8 f2               |
        c'2( [ d8 c8 bes8  a8 ] |

        bes2 [ c8 bes8 a8 g8 ]  |
        a2 [ bes8 a8 g8 f8 ]    |
        )g4. c,8 c2             |

        f4 g a bes     |
        a2 g2          |
        c2( [ d8 c8 bes8  a8 ] |

        bes2 [ c8 bes8 a8 g8 ]  |
        a2 [ bes8 a8 g8 f8 ]    |
        )g4. c,8 c2             |

        f4 g a bes     |
        a2( )g2        |
        f1            \bar "|.";
}

flute2 = \notes \relative c'' {
        \clef violin;
        \property Staff.instrument = "oboe"

        f4 f e e  |
        g4 e f2   |
        f4 e f f  |

        f4 e f2   |
        f4 f e e  |
        f4 g f2   |

        f4 e f f  |
        f4 e f2   |
        f4 ( [a8 g8 ] f2( |

        )f4 [g8 f8] e2(  |
        )e4 [f8 e8] d2   |
        )c4.c8 c2        |

        c4 e f f  |
        f2 e2     |
        f4 ( [a8 g8 ] f2( |

        )f4 [g8 f8] e2(  |
        )e4 [f8 e8] d2   |
        )c4.c8 c2        |

        c4 e f f  |
        f2( )e2   |
        c1 \bar "|.";
}

$flute1_staff = \context Staff = flute1_group <
        \global
        \flute1

$flute2_staff = \context Staff = flute2_group <
        \global
        \flute2

$flutes = \context StaffGroup <
        \$flute1_staff