Laura> A commonly used convention in early music transcription is to put
Laura> square brackets around notes that are ligatures instead of individual
Laura> notes in the original.  Is there a way to do this in lilypond?

An alternative commonly used convention is to put a square bracket over
such notes -- like a volta bracket but thinner.  I think it ought to
be possible to do this now (but don't know how)

What I'd like to be able to do is to have both these and also a way to
put parentheses around arbitrary notes accidentals and scripts to show
editorial emendations.

Peter C