Shawn>  I just installed xacc 1.0.18-2 from Debian Slink (but help|About
  Shawn> says it's 1.0.17?).  Then I went to my bank's web site and
  Shawn> downloaded a QIF file.  When I import it, all the transactions in
  Shawn> 1999 show up as being in 2099.  I looked at the QIF, and sure enough
  Shawn> they use a 2-digit year field.

You could upgrade to Debian's new gnucash package. While it is in potato, you
can run it (as whatever else it needs, see below) on a slink system. I'm
quite happy with, even though it segfaulted quite a bit on me the other
day. "Save often" :)

edd@sonny:~> dpkg -s gnucash
Package: gnucash
 Gnucash can track finances in multiple accounts, keeping running
 and reconciled balances. It has an X based graphical user interface,
 double entry, a hierarchy of accounts, expense accounts (categories),
 and can import Quicken QIF files.

  Shawn> The usual way to fix bugs like this is to assume that years past 70
  Shawn> or so are in the 1900's and the rest are past 2000.  Why is it not
  Shawn> done this way with QIF import?

I only tried one QIF import, and it blew up on me. Very old version of
quicken, though.

  Shawn> Should I just get a Motif 1.1.x series GnuCash or is that not stable
  Shawn> enough?

You might to try them both. The new series has a slew of features, and
probably a few bugs as well.

--
If the current stylistic distinctions between  open-source and commercial
software persist,  an open-software  revolution could lead to yet another