On 04 Aug 1999 02:04:34 CDT, the world broke into rejoicing as
Rob Browning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  said:
> (Redirected to gnucash-devel.)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > It's been rumoured that [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>
> [...]
>
> > > I suspect that there is probably some way that I could generate patch
> > > files to represent the "whole thing" using CVS; I would be glad to do
> > > so if someone could provide me some instruction on how to do that.
>
> CVS isn't that smart.  In particular it won't get the right answer for
> files you've deleted, and it'll also have trouble for new files.

Sounds like there'll be a touch of a struggle there; learning over time...

> > > There is one *major* thing that this is waiting on, for full
> > > implementation, namely the dialog that Rob has described as
> > > (gnc:choose-from-list-dialog title list-of-button-name-thunk-pairs).
>
> Uh... Oops.  I forgot you were waiting on this.  Based on my query
> dialog stuff, I *think* I can write something like this without too
> much trouble.  I'll take the time I was going to spend on the session
> stuff.

Much obliged.  This should be a generally useful facility, widely
reusable, so it's certainly no waste of time.

> I also noticed that scwm has solved (or is working on) several
> problems we've talked about.  In particular they have something *very*
> like the automatic options-dialog stuff I've talked about in the past.
> For those interested, it might be worth looking at
> http://scwm.mit.edu/.  Search for the "Configuration/Preferences"
> stuff about one page down along with a screenshot showing the GUI
> result.

It does indeed look pretty slick.

<http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/lutterdc/software/wickel.html> is
another package (woefully out of date now; GTK has been upgraded
substantially since the codebase was last touched) that is designed to
wrap a GUI around UNIX commands by describing the parameters to the
command.

This builds both documentation and a GUI to control the command at the
same time.

> > > For debugging purposes, it would be Real, Real Useful to have the
> > > ability to run some Guile-in-a-Window, which is something Rob
> > > indicated he might consider writing.
>
> Hmm.  I can easily provide the c-level function that'll let you hand
> guile a string for evaluation.  The hard part for me is the Gnome code
> (which I'm less familiar with than guile).  If anyone wants to whip up
> the gnome window for handling the user IO (even if it's just an entry
> widget and a text output widget, I can hook it up.

> Actually I'm not
> sure I don't like the scwm approach better, though I'm not sure it
> applies here.  They just have a tiny executable scwmrepl that lets you
> invoke a shell that passes your forms directly to the scwm guile
> interpreter.  Since we can't be guaranteed of only having one gnucash
> running (or are we intending to mandate that?), then we'd need to
> allow the user to select the right one.  This would avoid the gui
> issues and allow some other clever tricks as well.

That looks fairly interesting.

The *ideal,* as far as I'm concerned, would be to have a window open
to a Guile environment, complete with a Readline interface for Maximum
Editing Power.

Sufficiently powerful less-intimately-connected schemes can work as
well.  A scwmrepl window sounds pretty OK.
--
REALITY is a policy phased out early in the Eisenhower administration.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/langlisp.html>