teri wrote:

> The guile tarball I got has no such file and the slib docs don't say anything
> about guile.  Given that all I want to do is run gnucash and don't
> particularly care about doing anything fancy with guile/slib, can I just
> copy the scm files someplace where guile will find them? or do I need to
> take other unspecified steps for which there is no documentation?
>
> If I've missed *the* documentation file that contains all these answers,
> please someone point me to it.  Am I extremely stupid or is it that both
> the guile and slib docs assume you know everything about lisp/scheme
> environments/systems? (which I know nothing about).
>
> As I said, I installed guile-1.3 in /usr/local from the tarball and
> gnucash configure finds it.  There is no scheme (binaries or docs) of any
> kind on Caldera 2.3.  Red Hat 6.0 only has a man page for scheme(1) but
> nothing else that I could find (?), and of course nothing specific to guile
> and slib.

The guile / slib documentation is very poor, at least I didn't find
anything
useful, too.

If you install guile-1.3 you should get a /usr/local/share/guile/1.3
directory. In this dir create a subdir slib and copy the .scm files to
that subdir.
Then run gnucash once as root, because guile seems to need to setup some
things.
This worked with my SuSE 6.3 installation, which brings guile-1.3.4 with
it,
but no slib.

On another computer I installed the UMBscheme rpm from ftp.gnucash.org.
This
installs a /usr/lib/umbscheme/slib ((?) not entirely sure about that
path)
directory. Then a ln -s /usr/lib/umbscheme/slib
/usr/local/share/guile/1.3/slib
solved all slib problems.

Hope this helps.

Herbert.