Haines Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I struggled with gnucash 1.2.5-1 binary rpm on RedHat 6.0 before, and I'm back to
> try again.
>
> I had uncertainties about the installation. When I attempt it, I'm
> first told that jcollins account can't be found, and so the
> installation is done for root. I want a user to use the program; can
> this message just be ignored? I install as user requires changing
> permissions on a large number of other files, which I'd just as soon
> not do.

You can safely ignore these warnings.  The problem is that jcollins
built the RPM as himself with files installed as himself, rather than
as root.  So, when you unpack the RPM it actually tries to maintain
the ownership (jcollins) and fails because there is no user jcollins
on your machine.  Just ignore it.

> Yet, when root installs, it, user can start and program. But, because
> the program does not seem to run correctly when installed, I wonder if
> root installation is correct.

No, that isn't the problem...

> The problems I experience are
>
> a) the new account I create does not
> show up in the gnucash window, but must be opened by File->OpenFile,
> which in turn reveals a set of saves. I'm not sure which of these I need
> to open. I assume the account name should appear in the window when
> gnucash starts.

When you create an account, it should show up for that run of
gnucash.  However, you need to load in the account everytime you
start gnucash.

Good Luck,

-derek
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        PGP key available