thanks.  especially since the refinements you suggested are to the original
code, not my modifications. :)

> Not bad; I suggest couple of refinements, involving adding some useful
> abstractions that essentially pull out the HTML dependancy.

this was in the pipe, but I wasn't doing it as well as you suggest, so thanks!

> a) By creating a debit/credit "collector," lots of set! instances get
> to go away, and you don't have to track "inflow" and "outflow."

I didn't consider the transaction report "mine"  (I'm working on budgeting),
so I wasn't going to get into that.

But to be able to report on multiple accounts at once, we do need something
better.

> b) Generate HTML in an automated manner, rather than by hand:

My function prettifies the number itself -- I'll merge it in to your cell stuff.

> ;;; the above function is a sample of looping via "named let," which is
> ;;; one of the nicest ways of managing loops...

Yah, I just found it.  it sure is sweet.

> Note: I've spent some time Messing Seriously With Reports, and haven't
> yet checked anything in.  I suspect that what I should do is to check
> in the utility functions that have fallen out of it, and drop the
> reports proper, to redo the work once some further code gets checked
> in.

Ouch, I figured this would happen.  I'd like to request that you check in
regularly to minimize my merge costs.

> To that end, here is, pretty raw, what I've added as new files, for:
>
> - rptutils.scm   - Some utility functions used in multiple reports
> - htmlgen.scm    - HTML table generation functions
> - xmlgen.scm     - A generalized XML generator function set
> - gnm.scm        - Uses xmlgen.scm to build a GNumeric spreadsheet

Thanks.