OK, this must be the update that broke the build for me.

cvsgnucash update -Pd -D "14 apr 2000"

works fine

cvsgnucash update -Pd -A

segfaults just before the main window should appear.

The ouput from the screen is the same as normal.

I get this message, but then again, I've always gotten this message.

This is a development version.  It may or may not work.
Report bugs and other problems to http://www.gnucash.org/
The last stable version was gnucash-1.2.5
The next stable version will be gnucash-1.4.x

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
gnucash: [D] "Running functions on hook "main-window-opened-hook
  #<procedure gnc:extensions-menu-setup (win)>
  #<procedure gnc:report-menu-setup (win)>