On Mon, 01 May 2000, Christopher Browne wrote:

> By the way, another moment that I _would_ consider of some value would be
> the moment at which the split was marked as "reconciled as clear."  (To
> connect this to the other discussion about Reconciliation...)

> I have had occasion to care about this; with an account that had _hundreds_
> of transactions per month, it became a matter of some importance to be able
> to trace back to know which month the transaction cleared the bank.

Just as you mention the 3 different times associated with the entry of a
transaction and conclude that "time posted to gnucash" is least valuable,
I think the same is true of reconciliation.

When you did the reconciliation is much less important than the period for
which you are doing the reconciliation.

For example, assuming that I just balanced my checkbook year-to-date.
Yes, it is sloppy to wait so long, but it happens. Now, just to make matters
worse, I balanced my April statement first. Then I did January, etc.

When I come back later, I don't care at all that I reconciled that check on
May 1. What I want to know is that it cleared the bank in March.

Dave Peticolas wrote:
> We track that date, sort of.

How about using the "ending date" of the statement period instead?