When I imported *everything* from Quicken to gnucash, I noticed the
balances were different in gnucash from in Quicken, even after fixing the
"Opening Balance" transaction.  Hoping to nail a gnucash bug,
I binary-searched throug about 8 years of transaction data, and found
that it was not Gnucash, but Quicken that seems to have been at fault.

Here's an extract from my (Quicken) [Checking] account:

12/04 pos   provigo                                33.67 X                368.88
 1998 memo:
       cat: Groceries

12/04 cash  cash                                  300.00 X                 68.88
 1998 SPLIT
               [cash]                             200.00
                 groceries
               allowances                          90.00
                 allowances
               [cash]                              10.00
                 cash

12/04       interac fee                             1.25 X                 67.63
 1998 memo:
       cat: Bank Chrg

12/04 039   Mini-Menage                            65.00 X                  2.63
 1998 memo:
       cat: Cleaning

and in [cash]:

12/04       cash                                               210.00  49,641.91
 1998 memo:
       cat: [Checking]

As you see, one cash withdrawal is split into several purposes,
two of which are handled in the cash account.

When I import this into gnucash, the transactions become duplicated.
I get both the split transaction from checking and the unsplit transaction
from cash, presumably because it does not recognise that the split
transaction in [Checking] corresponds to the nonsplit transaction in [cash].

Now I don't expect you to run and fix this (though it would be nice)
immediately before a stable release, for fear of disturbing something else.
But if the mass import process were to produce a log of unmatched transfers,
this would help me track them down.

gif file extracts follow:

-- hendrik.

from cash: