Hmmm, this gets more confusing.

If I change the register display to 'double' from 'auto double', the
'hidden fields' disappear altogether - they are not displayed even if I
click on the transaction and make it the current transaction.

If change back to 'auto double' the previous behaviour returns.

If I change to 'double', click on the field under the check number of
the problem transaction, select 'check' and the move to the 'Memo' field
under the 'Description' field and fill in the field, and 'record' the
transaction. The fields are now displayed as for the 1.3.7 entries.

A thought just occured to me. Is this a result of the ability to 'move'
transactions to another account using a data entry field. If so then
this gets even more confusing and just adds to my concern that you may
be mixing data entry fields and actions on transactions - a real human
factors problem.