> > I think the bottleneck is in the Gnome Canvas, which is the basis of
> > the register display.  Dave P would know more about that.
>
> I suspect this is where it's happening, but we will need to do some
> profiling to be sure.

Is each entry field in the register a separate Gnome widget?
Do you suppose that the canvas does its complete set of layout calculations
over again when a transaction is deleted?  Or entered? Or changed?
Would it be useful if I looked into the Gnome source code about this?

Do you happen to know what profiling tools I should look for under
Linux? Every OS I've used has a different way of doing this, and the best
one is usually discovered by word-of-mouth, not by looking in manuals.

By the way, is there a maximum allowable size to the memo field, cheque
number field, etc? (I don't care if there are current limits on how much
is displayed (these are at worst temporary(and they resize with the window
(Aha! Four nested parentheses in an English prose. Natural language
catches up to Lisp))), as long as all the data get
into the file.)